Mr. Rajkiran Rai G, Managing Director and CEO of Union Bank of India, was at the campus to address the 1st year MBA students on 12th Oct’19. Prior to his elevation as Managing Director & CEO, he was the Executive Director of Oriental Bank of Commerce. Mr. Rajkiran Rai G is a graduate in Agricultural Science and also a Certified member of Indian Institute of Bankers. He has more than three decades of rich banking experience including heading Industrial Finance Branch, Regions and Zonal Offices. He started his career as an Agricultural Finance Officer in Central Bank of India. He was also serving on the Board of Canara, HSBC, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
Chairman – Mr. Manjunath Bhandary, in his introductory speech while referring to Mr. Rajkiran Rai said that Sahyadri is blessed with unexpected visits from eminent personalities contributing to the growth and development of the students. Chairman urged the students to keenly observe the personality of Mr. Rajkiran and then the position he holds. He acknowledged that Mr. Rai is one of the very few contemporaries of his who achieved the goal as planned with utmost Clarity, Dedication and Commitment. He said Mr. Rai is a perfect example of attaining success in multi-disciplinary field – Education in Agricultural Science and Excellence in Banking Sector. He referred to Mr. Rai as a custodian of crores of money belonging to people. In an interactive session, Mr. Rajkiran Rai G expressed how happy he was to address the Young India who is closer to being a CEO as they are MBAs. He answered queries of the students giving powerful messages for them to inculcate during the course of MBA studies.
Key Takeaways during the session:
• Passion, Humility & Continuous Learning are the Key Competencies for a Leader
• In order to reach greater heights one should break the comfort zone, think strategically and be risk-takers
• Deeply rooted Culture and Smart work should go hand in hand
• Bouncing Back Attitude is the solution to all failure stories
• Before going to bed, every night, think about how you spent the whole day – negative behaviour and positive behaviour and plan how you will overcome the mistakes done during the day
• Develop the habbit of Reading and watch Youtube videos of great leaders who inspire youth
• Understand the perspective and background behind Mergers & Acquisitions of Banks – Further Reading
• Develop Skills on Crisis Management especially in a Banking sector
• Before joining an organization, do a complete ground work of the organization’s background, then on joining, surprise the company with your ideas
• Banking sector looks for Talents who have a hybrid combination of Technology and Banking Knowledge because 76% of the Banking operations are now on Digital platform
• Financial Literacy, Adopting Villages, Appointing Business Correspondents with Banking Machines are the key initiatives to cater to rural customers
Mr. Nanjundappa and Mr. Joshi from Union Bank along with Mr. Ravindranath Shetty, Treasurer Bunts Mathru Sangha Mangaluruwere were present during the talk.