Mr. Manjunath Bhandary is a born leader, visionary, entrepreneur, politician and educationist. His dynamic leadership brings about much needed social reforms through education to empower individuals to become the backbone of an enterprising, productive society. He took up Mechanical Engineering, and later he chose to enhance his knowledge in the social and political arena, by studying M.A. and M.Phil. in Political Science; shaping his outlook – a rare blend of being a technocrat and a social activist. He has the distinction of being awarded the Doctoral Degree – Ph.D. in Political Science for his thesis titled “Women’s Participation in the Panchayat Raj.”
- From Eisenhower Foundation, Philadelphia, USA in 2004, President George H.W. Bush was the head of the foundation.
Current Political Position
- Vice-President – Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee – KPCC
- Member – All India Congress Committee – AICC
- Member – Pradesh Congress Committee – PCC
Political Positions Held
- General Secretary, Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Secretary, Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Secretary, Indian Youth Congress – IYC.
- National Council Member, N S U I.
- General Secretary, State N S U I.
- Vice President, Shimoga District Youth Congress.
- President, Chikamaglur District N S U I.
During 1978, joined politics and actively involved in the Congress party through NSUI, Youth Congress also taken keen interest and involved young leadership in the political activity.
Sports Promotion, Patron-ships, Social
- VICE PRESIDENT: Karnataka State Amateur Athletic Association.
- PRESIDENT: Shimoga District Handball Association.
- Actively conducted and getting involved in sports and cultural promotion.
Academic Contribution & Services
- Established a charitable trust called Bhandary Foundation ®
- Running an Engineering & Management College at Mangalore.
- Creating awareness in the younger generation on AIDS/HIV & Drug Abuse.
- Providing free education to orphans and to the financially weaker sections.
- Established a Government Centre that motivates young research scholars.
- A Project named “RAJIV VIKAS KENDRA” had been proposed to Hon’ble Prime Minister Mr. Manmohan Singh through Hon’ble Congress President Smt. Sonia Gandhi to provide ONE CRORE job opportunities later the same approved by the Union Cabinet and implemented as Rural Common Service Centre – C S Cs on 21st Sep 2006 and provided the budget for Rs 5742 crores to establish one lack centers to provide employment opportunities for rural youths.
- Proposed INDIRA JYOTHI to Karnataka Government to provide 10 lac GAS CONNECTION to people below poverty line and the same was included in the 2004 Budget by Hon’ble Chief Minister Sri S. M. KRISHNA.
- Initiated to Construct Congress Bhavan for the District Congress Committee at Shimoga, the said Congress Bhavan is one of the state-of-the-art buildings and the total cost is Rs. 2.00 Crores. Most of the fund is personally donated and collected by initiative.
As a young political leader, represented Government as well as party in many International Youth Exchange Programmes held in various countries; through this program had the opportunity to interact with various leaders.
- Represented Congress party, on the invitation of American Council of Young Political Leader (ACYPL), USA from 9th Sept. 2001, and was a witness to the 9/11 attack on Pentagon, Washington.
- As a member of Government of India delegation, attended the World AIDS Conference at Barcelona, SPAIN in July 2002.
- Visited ISRAEL in July 2003 on the invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a high profile delegation of Young Indian leadership.
- Participated in the US Presidential Election 2004, as a part of Eisenhower fellowship program.
- Participated in the India Independence Day Parade in New York, USA in 2006 as a Guest of Honor.
- Lead The Indian Delegation to World Youth Festival in ALGERIA in 2006.
- Part of the Youth Exchange program travelled to Macedonia, Cuba, Vietnam, China, Moscow, Switzerland, Hungary, U.K, Albania, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Srilanka, Italy, Canada, Bosnai, Turkey, Ireland, Moraco, Egypt, Malaysia, and Prague.
- Attended many National and International Conferences, Workshops & Seminars at Czechoslovakia, Germany, Belgium, Singapore and Srilanka regarding academics.